Sunday, October 11, 2009

My craft room overhaul!


I'm blogging today and linking to Susan's Met Monday!




Several months ago I decided that I wanted to do more things crafty and creative.  I actually felt that I really needed to get back in touch with that side of me.  When I went back to school a few years ago I really had to set aside all things extra, school was all science and logic, no room or time for creative thinking in the nursing program.  When we moved here the teenager pretty much took up in the living room like he lives there.  I can't complain, because he's not locked away in his room ignoring the rest of the house, I'm actually happy that he wants to be a part of the household.  Hubby has his home office to go to.  It's where he goes to work everyday.  That's completely his space.

Me, I didn't really have a space and I was feeling it.  Y'all know that craft projects aren't always done in one day and that often they are messy.  That really leaves the dining room out!  You see my dining room the second you walk in the door!  The only space left was the master bedroom.  So, I was working ON the bed.  Each evening I would put everything on the bed onto the floor next to the bed, on my side.  My side of the bed is not that big, so it was a careful tiptoe to the my side of the bed.  I grew more and more frustrated!  One day I had just had enough and I did a major overhaul of our little rental house.  Our third bedroom was completely taken over by our ebay business.  It was being used as our warehouse, storing our products and mailing supplies.  I moved our "warehouse" into the formal living room that was really never used.  I wanted a space that I could close the door on either to work without interruption or to not look at the mess I've created!

This summer I went and picked out paint.  I'm not a professional, but I love color!  I also love to paint!  Y'all know that as a mom, everything you do gets undone, daily.  I do laundry, cook, clean...and the next day it all needs to be done again!  When you paint, it stays painted, you can walk in everyday and say to yourself, I did that and it's not undone today! Ahhhhh!  I wanted the room to feel light and airy, fresh!  I have an antique chair that's upholstered in a nice lime green and blue stripe, I knew I wanted that chair in the room.  I chose colors from a chip card with a sunroom picture on it.  The green for the walls is Valspar Garden Fairy.  The ceiling is Valspar Summer Sorbet.  I also got a gallon of  Bella Mint from the same card to use as an accent.  Here's the colors all painted and done:




It was okay and I lived with it, my son hated it and said it looked like a babies room.  I had to admit that it was paler than I had wanted, just not lime-y enough, although I knew that the Garden Fairy color was not lime-y I kind of chickened out and went light!  I hate that!  I know not to do that, and still I do it!  You'll notice that the ceiling just doesn't look like I thought it would.  The blue just doesn't look right!  I painted an old window the ceiling color and hung it on the wall, it was TERRIBLE!  That's when I knew that I had to do something else.  I got out the Bella Mint and painted it on a small area of the wall just to see what it would look like:





Much better!  That's the color I was going for!  Here's a look at the paint on a larger scaled comparison:



What a difference!  It looks so much richer!  Not washed out and baby roomish like the first paint.  So here's the paint done, you can see the ceiling blue looks much better with this green.



Here's a close up of the wall color:




Here's the window I painted the ceiling color:



Obviously the room is still in progress, but I'm much happier every time I walk in.  I'll post the completed room in a week or two!

Hope y'all like the progress!

15 comments:

  1. I just love your paint choices and I love the fact that you just went for it. The colors you have chosen are very hot right now, just some white things in the room and you are set...I am a new follower...come and visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green is beautiful! It does not look like a baby's room. (You can't listen to your kids when it comes to decorating -they favor "no change.")
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on finding your space and making it your own! Decorate to what makes you happy...like your fun color on the walls. Can't wait to see the finished project!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great space you are creating. I hope you keep us posted on the progress you make and a final reveal!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right...the blue ceiling color does pop more. I think you made the right choice!!! I'm going to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great room. Love your paint color choices!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love green, your room looks great, I really like the details on your ceiling. I have done the same thing painting a room one color and hating how it turned out. Good thing that you can just paint over and change it.
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah!!! I am glad you chose to be bold--it is so much fun , isn't it!!! I drive my family nuts because painting is pretty cheap and you can get dramatic transformations in a room! But now I have calmed down a bit--they sometimes say they really like a color and don't want me to change it. My sunroom was a brighter yellow than it is now...but I wanted to tone it down and I did paint it a toned down yellow--it isn't such a happy yellow as before, but it goes better with the rest or the room and house so it was a good compromise. However , some days I miss the happy yellow ;-)

    Nannykim at spindle cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the ceiling! And the colors are refreshing and crisp. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect! It looks great! I also have a green workroom and haven't regretted it for a moment. I could have done a post on mine today too! It changed from total chaos to more organized! LOL!
    Thanks for stopping by for a visit today. Do come again.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the limey color and the ceiling is fantastic! Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the color!! Very bright and airy.


    Drop by and sign up for my link party if you'd like! http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow love your tray ceilings, they are wonderful. And that fresh green is one of my favourites too!!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been desperately trying to find the paint formula for Bella mint. Do you have it? Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been desperately trying to find the paint formula for Bella mint. Do you have it? Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete