Monday, November 23, 2009

You can go home again

Who says you can't go home again!  Last week I spent the week sleeping at my momma's house and hanging out with my family and  friends, both old and new.

I grew up in the suburbs of Houston and growing up I always considered where I was born home.  Home was an itty bity town outside of Fort Worth.  After I was grown I always thought longingly of my summers spent visiting my Granny and Papa.  Going out to my Papa's home place and playing with the smelly cow dogs, picking fresh veggies from the garden and hanging out in the trees in the evenings as the day cooled down.  I was an only child there, the only granddaughter of a granny with two sons and four grandsons!  My granny taught me to sew, bake, quilt and to starch a pair of jeans until they stood up all by themselves!  My papa came home everyday from working in the trainyard filthy stinky dirty, but he left every morning with fresh clean starched and line dried work clothes.

Now that I've moved away from where I grew up, I have those same nostalgic feelings about Houston.  Tuesday night I went to "my" Beth Moore bible study with some of the girls, then went to eat afterwards.  Beth was right on and I laughed until I thought I would wet my pants and wished I would've worn steel toed boots from all the toe steppin' she was doing, just like old times!  I spent the next day visiting with my sister in law and my niece and nephew.  We went to the fire station and visited with my brother in law and let my niece play on the fire trucks.  My niece is going to be two in January and I promise you, she's the smartest girl on the earth right now!!  :)  She came and stayed the night with me at my mom's.  Mom watched her for a couple of hours so that I could meet up with a few friends from school.  The ladies that made it were girls that I had gone to school with since kindergarten!  Very fun!  We talked for hours, then it was back to moms to tuck in my little sweetie pie.  She went shopping with me and my group of girlfriends from church.  We had such a good time at lunch.  Then we went shopping!  Boy have I forgotten how much work it is to have a little one with you!  She was so good and only had one minor meltdown.  The meltdown ended as soon as I turned onto the shoe aisle.  She lifted her little head off my shoulder and said, "Shoes!!  I like shoes!"  Yep, you guessed it ,shoe diva in training!!

Saturday morning I had coffee with another group of old friends and saw another friend from high school.  As I headed home to my hubby and youngest son I was feeling homesick.  I needed to see my guys!  My boy shot his first deer while I was gone.  He texted me immediately!  But, I missed them.  When I got home we piled up in my bed and the boy unloaded.  He talked for an hour straight!

 Yep, you can go home again.  It's true, home is where your heart is.  When I visit my Granny, I feel home in my heart.  When I visit my parents, I feel home in my heart.  However, when I'm with my hubby and my boys I just feel home.  Where ever we are, if we're together I'm home!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post! Sounds like you had an incredible week with family and friends but like you said, nothing compares to being with your husband and boys! Happy Thanksgiving.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete